My next job: to spend his money!
The various hoards of treasure that Temian found during the last adventure have left him with a massive 1400sp or so saved up.
(Recall that Temian started out with just 500sp worth of equipment, so 1400sp is lot of money, by his standards. This means he’s in a position to make some serious equipment upgrades! )
The dilemma of the day: what should he buy?
Here’s his current loadout:
- Cheap Thrusting Broadsword 240sp, 3lbs sw+1 cut, thr+2imp. (This sword was once quite a good one, but it’s been in the family for two generations, and is starting to get a little rusty…).
- Heavy Cloak 50sp, 5lbs DB2, DR1/HP5
- Mail Shirt 150 sp, 16lbs DR 4 (only DR 2 vs crushing).
- Personal Basics 5sp, 1lb
- Small Sack 15sp, 1.5lbs Holds 20lbs of gear (Note that I extrapolated the stats for this from the larger two-handed “Sack” in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers, p24.)
- Canteen 10sp, 3lbs
- Blanket 20sp, 4lbs
- A finely-wrought silver circlet that used to belong to the Baroness of Heirloom Peak. 200sp, neg. (Acquired during Episode 4)
- A crystal vial containing an as-yet unidentified liquid. ?sp, 0.5 lbs (Acquired during Episode 5)
Grand total of weight: 34 lbs (light encumbrance)
That’s a very minimal loadout!
So what are his options now?
- He needs a backpack – that’s just basic. (During his first adventure, he managed to get away with a refurbished potato-sack, but really, that was hardly in keeping with his dignity). But what kind of backpack? GURPS has a few options here:
- The small backpack? (60sp, 3lbs, holds 40lbs)
- The big backpack with frame? (100 sp, 10lbs, holds 1100lbs)?
- Or should he splurge on the deluxe quick-release backpack from Dungeon Fantasy 1: Adventurers – assuming we’re allowing such things? (300sp, 3lbs, holds 40lbs)
I’m not yet sure. Right now I think maybe the big pack is too heavy, so I lean towards either the small pack or the expensive-but-handy quick-release pack…. but I could probably be convinced otherwise.
His broadsword is a rusty family heirloom. In GURPS terms, it’s cheap, and thus liable to break on heavy parries. Should he upgrade to a shiny new one? That would cost a chunk of change – 600sp, for the thrusting version – but then, a good sword is pretty important. Hard to decide. On the one hand, how often do you parry heavy weapons, really? Not that often. On the other hand, a broken sword at the wrong time could spell doom. Hmmm….
- What about armor? Up to this point, he’s just had his mail shirt. No helmet; no limb protection; no gloves or gauntlets. This has been ok, since so far I’ve been playing with a pretty simple (some might say simplistic) version of the GURPS combat rules, ignoring hit locations entirely, and just assuming that all hits are to the torso. So in a way, the question of whether to armor up is also the question of whether to move to a less simplistic version of the combat rules… Which is a big question. So far I’ve been playing it very simple because I think the session reports are already mechanically complex enough, thank you very much. Showing how the GM-less play system works eats up a lot of words! But it might be fun to move to a less simplistic combat system, in which case, Temian is going to need some limb armor, and a helm, at least. Hmmm again….
So this is a big one: what about a HORSE? According to pB. 460, a riding horse would cost him $1,200. Plus he’d need tack and harness, which would eat up pretty much all his hard-earned cash. But he’s preparing for a big journey to the North-West, to find the Lost City of Lara Ithuil, so a horse could really be handy. Plus who doesn’t want a horse?
Those are the obvious things. What else? Books, maybe? Books are nice. Minimal game-mechanical effect, though, unless we go for the rules in GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 4: Sages. Or a bow? He’s got no bow skill, but he could start to practice. No doubt there are other things I’ve missed.
Well, I’ll have to decide soon, so I can get the next session rolling.
If you have any advice to offer here, please do!
Later edit: here’s the post in which I actually make the new purchases. But don’t forget to read the excellent advice people offered me in the comments below!